Hey You Guys
I apologize for being later than normal but I am super tired. I didn’t go to sleep until 2:30 am. I have been pushing myself to keep my word…to myself. I wanted to clean my room. I know it sounds simple and I really should be able to do it within one effort but lately that hasn’t been the case. It feels like a chore and I know that it is but I’ll pick up, then I will unknowingly drift off into something else and a few days later, what I managed to clean is cluttered again. I think it’s a sign of me needing to downsize my wardrobe. I attempt to downsize at least once season but since I haven’t been working a regular 9-5, it’s easy to rationalize keeping those items that used to make up my work wear wardrobe.
It’s hard to get rid of those clothes, “What if I need them again?” I ask myself. So I end up keeping them. Doesn’t sound like much but when you consider that I spent most of my time at work. All of the cardigans, slacks, button downs, dresses, loafers, heels and casual Friday items that aren’t really all that casual, is a whole lot. For years, when I’d go shopping, all I bought was workwear, so you can only imagine. Needless to say, workwear isn’t the only abundance I have, I use to collect cardigans; I have keepsakes and those clothes that every woman has…that pile that you want to fit into again…someday.
How do you determine what should stay and what shouldn’t? I think I have a fear of getting rid of a piece and then needing it. I don’t want to make it seem like I should have an intervention on Hoarders or anything. Trust me, it’s not that bad but I think it’s become imperative to get it together because I recently heard that your surroundings match what’s going on inside and I’ve been overhauling the inside so I want everything to come full circle naturally, even if it’s at the expense of my sleep. I’m tired of going in circles. I feel like everytime someone asks me what I’m doing my answer is cleaning up, that just shouldn’t be. What I hate most is that I have the best intentions but I really struggled with this and only recently recognized it. I’ve been able to keep it tidy but I’m really not feeling that, so a girl’s gotta do what she has to do to keep her sanity.
Here’s a couple of steps I’m going to be using to help me finally get rid of my mess.
- Set a goal- you might want to knock out a room a day or a floor/ per week (multi level) for maintaining the cleanliness and do a deep cleaning every quarter. Take time to figure it out. Most of us tend to work better when we have a timeline or can see light at the end of our goal tunnel.
- Schedule- under normal circumstances this is a great tool but because yesterday was necessary for me to get it done once and for all, I didn’t follow a schedule but I will begin to schedule cleaning time on the regular basis for maintaining my space so that it doesn’t hinder me from taking care of other obligations. Set a contingency plan, in case something comes up, if you fall behind it’s likely you will fall off, plan ahead
- Don’t work overtime- once you’ve made a schedule stick to it. Don’t go over the allotted time. Your time is valuable. Don’t disrespect your own time and others won’t either
- Reward yourself when you stick to the schedule- this will help you to create a habit
- Get rid of distractions- most of the time that I drift off, it’s because I turn on the tv to have something going and I end up sitting on the bed and watch it instead-substitute the TV for music
- Build fun into the chore- some of us need motivation. After a long day of work, the last thing we want to do is more chores. You have to change your mindset. Create challenges, sing, dance, get your family involved for family time. Also no one person should be responsible for all the cleaning unless they made the mess themselves-everyone should be self sufficient
- Don’t just pack the clutter away somewhere else- throw it in the trash, recycle or donate it but get it out of your space.
- If possible, open windows and draw the curtains- breathing fresh air into the stale places, help you and that area feel renewed.
I hope these steps were helpful. If you try them, please let me know how they worked in the comments section. Also, let me know what techniques you might use to keep you motivated. Hope you’re having an amazing day and I’ll talk to you all tomorrow.